MA6618 -- Mathematical Methods for Electromagnetic and Optical Waves
- Maxwell's equations.
- Elementary solutions.
- One-dimensional problems.
- Scattering from finite scatterers.
- Diffraction from infinite structures.
- Optical waveguides.
- Photonic crystals.
- Nonlinear optics.
Brief lecture notes (updated on Feb. 27, 2008) can be downloaded
program for computing transmission and reflection
spectra of a 1D multilayer structure.
We do not have a textbook. Brief lecture notes will be
distributed in class. Some useful reference books are:
- Principle of Optics, by Max Born and Emil Wolf.
- Fundamentals of Photonics, by B.E.A. Saleh and M.C. Teich.
Your final grade will be calculated from the following components:
- Final Exam --- 50%,
- Mid-semester test --- 15%,
- Marked homework assignments --- 35%.