Associate Professor of Finance
Department of Economics and Finance,
City University of Hong Kong
83 Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Office Tel: (852) 3442 7577; Fax: (852) 3442 0195
Semester 2015-16A: Investments (EF5052)
Semester 2015-16W: Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management (FB5153)
- PhD, MBA, 1995, 1989, (Finance), Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
(KU Leuven, Belgium)
- M.Eng, B.Eng, 1985, 1983, (Management Science),
Tongji University (Shanghai)
- Associate Professor since 2002, Assistant Professor (1995-2002), City University of Hong Kong
- Visiting Fulbright Hong Kong Senior Scholar, Department of Finance,
Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University (August 2005 - June 2006)
- Research Assistant (1991-1995),
Faculty of Economics and Business, KU Leuven (founded in 1425)
- Lecturer (1985-1987), Nanjing Institute of Technology (currently under one of the old names
in its checkered history since 1902:
- Program Leader of MSc in Finance (2015-now), Dept of Econ and Finance, CityU of HK
- DBA Program Associate Director (2013-now), College of Business, CityU of HK
- PhD Program Coordinator (2010-12), Research Seminar Coordinator (2007-12), Dept of Econ and Finance, CityU of HK
- Program Leader of BBA in Financial Engineering (2003-2005), Dept of Econ and Finance, CityU of HK
- Research Project Director (1990-1992), China-Europe Institute, KU Leuven
- the 2008 CICF Best Paper Award for the best papers at the China International Conference in Finance
- the 2006, 2008 NTU Outstanding Paper Award for the best papers at the International
Conference on Finance
- the 2006 KSA Best Paper Award (third place) for the best papers at the 1st
International Conference on Asian-pacific Financial Markets
- the 2003 Iddo Sarnat Award (second place) for the best papers published in
the 2002 issues of Journal of Banking and Finance
- the 2002 Barclays Global Investors Award for the Best Paper on the Australasian Capital Markets
- the 1999 WFA Award for the Best Paper in Corporate Finance
Fellowships and Scholarships:
- Fulbright Hong Kong Scholarship 2005-06
- Fellowships for the EDEN Advanced Doctoral Intensive Courses
(1) Continuous-Time Theory in Finance, 1992;
(2) Empirical Methods in Finance, 1993;
(3) Topics in Option Pricing, 1995
- ABOS Scholarship for the MBA program (Belgium), 1987-1989
- City University of HK Grants (SRG, DAG, or SG), 1998-2004/2007/2009-14 (every year)
- HK General Research Fund (GRF, formerly known as Competitive Earmarked Research Grant or CERG), 1997/2003-05 (every year), 2008/2015
Corporate Finance; Asset Pricing and Capital Markets; International Financial Management
- Wu, Xueping, Zheng Wang and Jun Yao, 2015, A rent protection explanation for SEO flotation method choice ,
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis , Forthcoming.
- Wu, Xueping, and C.K. Au Yeung, 2012, Firm growth type and capital structure persistence ,
Journal of Banking and Finance 36, No.12, 3427-43.
- Wu, Xueping, and Jun Yao, 2012, Understanding the rise and decline of the Japanese main bank system:
The changing effects of bank rent extraction , Journal of Banking and Finance 36, No.1, 36-50.
(Unpublisehd proof related to footnote 3)
- Wu, Xueping, Piet Sercu, and Jun Yao, 2009, Does competition from new equity mitigate bank rent extraction?
Insights from Japanese data , Journal of Banking and Finance 33, No. 10, 1884-97.
- Sercu, Piet, Martina Vandebroek, and Xueping Wu, 2008, Is the Forward
Bias Economically Small? Evidence from European Rates ,
Journal of International Money and Finance 27, 1284-1302.
- Wu, Xueping, and Zheng Wang, 2005, Equity Financing in A Myers-Majluf Framework with Private Benefits of Control ,
Journal of Corporate Finance 11, No. 5 (October), 915-945.
- Wu, Xueping, Zheng Wang, and Jun Yao, 2005,
Understanding the Positive Announcement Effects of the Private Equity Placements:
New Insights from Hong Kong Data ,
Review of Finance (The official Journal of the European Finance Association), Vol. 9 (September), 385-414.
- Wu, Xueping, and Lily L. Xu, 2005,
The Value Information of Financing Decisions and
Corporate Governance during and after the Japanese Deregulation,
Journal of Business 78, No. 1, 243-280.
- Wu, Xueping, 2002, A Conditional Multifactor
Analysis of Return Momentum,
Journal of Banking and Finance 26, No. 8, 1675-1696. (Winner of the 2003 Iddo Sarnat Award, second place, for the Best Papers published in the 2002 issues of JBF).
- Wu, Xueping, 2000, A New Stochastic Duration Based on the Vasicek and CIR Term Structure
Journal of Business Finance and Accounting 27 (No. 7&8), 911-932.
- Sercu, Piet, and Xueping Wu, 2000, Cross and Delta-Hedges: Regression versus Price-Based
Hedge Ratios, Journal of Banking and Finance 24, No. 5, 735-757
- Wu, Xueping, and Jin E. Zhang, 1999,
Options on the Minimum or the Maximum of Two Average Prices ,
Review of Derivatives Research Vol. 3, No. 2 (January 2000), 183-204.
- Sercu, Piet, and Xueping Wu, 1997, The Information Content in Bond Model Residuals: An
Empirical Study on the Belgian Bond Market,
Journal of Banking and Finance
21, No. 5, 685-720. (Typos in eq.15&16)
- Do Market Imperfections Give Rise to Financial Constraints? A Growth Type Explanation for the Sensitivity of Investment to Cash Flow
, (with Chau Kin Au Yeung), Working Paper (Download)
- A Growth Type Explanation for Persistence in Retained Earnings and Propensity to Pay Dividends, (with Chau Kin Au Yeung), presented in an earlier version at the 2009 CICF Annual Meeting in Guangzhou, China, July 7-10, 2009.
Old Unfinished Work:
- Keiretsu Membership, Firm Size, and Corporate Returns on Value and Cost (with Piet SERCU and Charles CHEN), presented at the 2000 EFA Meeting in London. An early version was titled
"Japan's Corporate Returns on Value and Cost: A Comprehensive Look", presented at the Western Finance Association 1999 Annual Meeting in Santa Monica,
and received the 1999-WFA Award for the Best Paper in Corporate Finance. (Download)
- The Information Content of Corporate Name Changes at the Announcement of Hong Kong Seasoned Equity Offerings, (with Zheng Wang), 2000.
Teaching (Courses Taught):
- Advanced Topics in Corporate Finance (PhD/MSc Finance)
- Security Analysis & Portfolio Management (Undergraduate, Intro & Advanced
- International Financial Management (PhD/MSc Finance/MBA/Undergraduate)
- Asset Pricing Theory (MSc Financial Engineering)
- Financial Management (Undergraduate)
Other Academic Activities:
(A=attending, P=presenting, C=presented by coauthor, D=discussing, S=session chairing)
American Finance Association Annual Meeting, 1998(P,C),1999-2001,2004-15(A)
European Finance Association Annual Meeting EFA via EIASM,
1995(C), 1996-7(P), 1998(A,C), 2000(P,D), 2001 (A,C)
Western Finance Association Annual Meeting, 1998(C), 1999(P), 2001(A) 2002(C,A), 2004-09, 2011-15(A)
China International Conference in Finance, 2004-6(P), 2007(P,D,S), 2008 (P,D), 2009 (P,D,S), 2010-11(D,S), 2013 (P,D)
Ad Hoc Referees:
European Financial Management, Financial Management, Financial Review, Journal of Banking and Finance,
Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Finance, Journal of Futures Market,
Journal of International Money and Finance, Pacific-Basin Financial Journal
- Hiking, Practicing Yang-style Taichi, and Swimming
You are the
visitor since October 1998.
Last updated: September 1, 2015.